Tipsportal

Premier League Title Race: Three-Way Chase for the Ages

It’s been ten years since we last had a three-horse race this late in the game; with ten games left to go, only a single point separates league leaders Arsenal with third placed Man City, with Liverpool sitting level on points with Arsenal with an inferior goal difference.

  MPWDLFAGDPts
1Arsenal2820447024+4664
2Liverpool2819726526+3964
3Man City2819636328+3563

It’s the first time in the history of the Premier League that the gap between the top three has been only a single point with ten games remaining, and there are huge stakes for all three sides as we enter the final straight.

According to the bookies, Man City are still favourites to lift the trophy come the end of season, with a 45% chance of winning; Liverpool are second favourites at 30% and Arsenal have a 25% chance of winning the Premier League. Let’s take a deeper look into each side, including their remaining fixtures:

ArsenalLiverpoolManchester City
Manchester City (A)Brighton (H)Arsenal (H)
Luton (H)Sheffield United (H)Aston Villa (H)
Brighton (A)Manchester United (A)Crystal Palace (A)
Aston Villa (H)Crystal Palace (H)Luton (H)
Wolves (A)Fulham (A)Tottenham (A)
Tottenham (A)West Ham (A)Nottingham Forest (A)
Bournemouth (H)Tottenham (H)Wolves (H)
Manchester United (A)Aston Villa (A)Fulham (A)
Chelsea (H)Everton (A)Brighton (A)
Everton (H)Wolves (H)West Ham (H)

Arsenal

Arsenal were in a similar position at this point last season, leading Man City by eight points, but went through a tough spell where they won just two out of eight games towards the end of the season and eventually lost out on the title by five points. That devastating experience is sure to have been a great experience for them for this season where, with a strengthened squad compared to last season, they will be looking to go one further this time around.

The crunch game for Arsenal has to be the next fixture when they travel to the Etihad and they really need to avoid defeat here. They probably have the toughest run-in compared to all three sides as they face quite a few sides in the top half of the table such as Aston Villa, Tottenham, Man Utd and Brighton.

Arsenal boast having the best attack and the best defence in the league, but they will have to overcome a record of having lost eight times in a row away to Man City and they will be hoping the Champions League doesn’t prove to be an additional distraction for them.

Liverpool

How much will Liverpool rue the fact that they were unable to defeat Man City at home in their last league match; they arguably have the easiest run in. A run of three home games in their next four games, against opponents struggling to pick up points will be crucial, and their fans will be hoping that their defeat against Manchester United in the Quarter Final of the FA Cup will not dampen their spirits.

Despite their incredible run of results in recent games, one major weakness for Liverpool will be their injury list and squad depth. They’ve needed to rely on a lot of their young players and so far, it appears to have paid dividends, but at such a crucial time of the season, any further losses of personal could really spell the end to their title rush.

Whilst they are still in Europe, their performance in the Europa League will surely be secondary to their Premier League title aspirations, and with this being Klopp’s final season at the club, it would be a fairy tale ending to an incredible era he has had on the red side of Merseyside.

Manchester City

City are still in a shout with completing the treble again, something that only they and Manchester United have managed to achieve in English football, whilst they’re also looking to pick up a fourth straight Premier League title, a feat that no side has ever managed to achieve. They have a point to make up against the other two, but they’ve overcome sterner tests before.

The key will be their next game when they host Arsenal, and should they fail to win, things could get hairy for them. They still have both Aston Villa and Tottenham, two sides gunning for the top four, and whilst matches against sides near the bottom of table may seem easy on paper, they can be much more dangerous towards the end of the season.

Man City have been there and done it, and it would certainly take a brave person to back one of the teams in red to upset the odds and stop Man City’s rampant charge towards a record breaking title.

Scroll to Top